Zooty Owl's Crafty Blog

Colourful Crochet, Craft, Cooking, and Contemplations

Thursday 24 April 2014

Rainbow Vermicelli Coasters: Pattern

Last week Thursday (pre holidays, and pre Starflower Mandala Fever - which you can read about HERE, HERE and HERE) I ordered a stash of lovely Raeesah Cotton Soft (100% Cotton) and a few balls of a pretty variegated Courtelle I wanted to try out. 

First thing Tuesday (post holidays, and amidst Mandala Fever) the Courier arrived with my parcels:


yarn stash

Pretty!!!!    Pretty!!

A few ladies new to the art of crochet asked me to create an easy Mandala for them to hook.    Of course that was the perfect excuse to start a new project using my lovely new stash!

I kept the stitchwork very simple so that (a) it would be easy to make and (b) I could use my variegated cottons!


crochet mandala

I was having so much fun with this - and the variegated yarn reminded me of the Rainbow Vermicelli my children loved sprinkling on cakes and milkshakes when they were younger!

A few more rows and it was done!   This time actually writing the pattern as I did each row! (A first for me as I usually get so carried away with the crocheting that I forget to write the pattern down).

Four lovely ladies are testing the pattern with me at the moment - a bit slow going, as the ladies have to squeeze in a few rows between children, husband and home.

The first rows of the pattern have been tested (and, according to the testers, are perfect!)

I plan to use this Mandala on the patio and a few matching coasters seemed like a good idea!

crochet coaster

They do look a bit wonky in the photo - but a quick puff of steam from the iron will sort that out in no time!

6 Quick and easy rows, work up to a coaster 12cm in diameter.

Rainbow Vermicelli Coasters

Pattern Terms:  US

Yarn:  Raeesah Cotton Soft DK (100% cotton)
Hook:  4.00mm 

Foundation:  5ch, ss to join

Row 1:  3ch (counts as 1dc), 1dc, 2ch into circle;  *2dc, 2ch into circle* *to* x 5 ss into top of 3ch to close

Row 2:  Join yarn in any 2ch space;  3ch (counts as 1dc), 2dc into same space as join, 2ch:  *3dc, 2ch into next 2ch space* *to* x 5, ss into top of 3ch to close (6 x 3dc, 2ch groups)

Row 3:  Join yarn in any 2ch space;  3ch (counts as 1 dc), 5dc into same space as join (6dc group), 1ch;  *6dc, 1ch into next 2ch space (6dc group)* *to* x 5;   ss into top of 3ch to close (6 x 6dc, 1ch groups)

Row 4:  Join yarn in 1st dc of any 6dc group;  3ch (counts as 1dc), 1dc into same place as join, 1dc into each of next 4dc, 2dc into last dc on 6dc group (8dc group);  *2dc into first dc on next 6dc group, 1 dc into each of next 4dc, 2dc into last dc on 6dc group (8dc group)* *to* all around;  ss into top of 3ch to close (6 x 8dc groups = 48 dc)

Row 5:  Join yarn in 1st dc of any 8dc group;   3ch (counts as 1dc), 1dc into same place as join, 1dc into each of next 6dc, 2dc into last dc on 8dc group, *2dc into first dc on next 8dc group, 1dc into each of next 6dc, 2dc into last dc on 8dc group* *to* all around,  ss into top of 3ch to close 

Row 6   ss into any dc;  *1ch, 1ss into top of  next dc*  *to* to end 1ch, ss into ss at start of edging.

crochet coasters

A little bit of quick, colourful hooking fun - perfect for using up yarn scraps!

11 comments:

  1. you are so kind and generous-- and quickly have become one of my favorite designers! thank you so much, Zelna!

    (lee)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see the vermicelli :-)
    Raeesah has such lovely, intense colours, but oh, the splitting...don't know if I'll work with it again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found it to be a nightmare with the hook size they recommend which is a 5.00mm; 4.50mm I found to be a bit better but still not great. I seem to have gotten the knack of it with a 4.00mm (THE perfect crochet hook - it has a nicely rounded hook - belonged to my gran). I bought a ball in every single colour available so I had better be able to use it! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found your site, to my delight! Thank you for sharing your talent. I can't wait to try this coaster.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What lovely mandala and what fun yarn! A delight for the patio! Thanks for sharing the patttern! Anna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Zelna, it's lovely seeing what you're up to each week and also brings a bit of South Africa into our home too - we've been in Perth for almost 6 years. What I would like to know is where you order your yarn from - on a recent trip to SA I fell in love with the Elle Gold DK yarn and am battling to find a company that will deliver to Australia? Thanks again for all your wonderful patterns, Lilian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have also been looking around - seems most companies will deliver as far as Namibia - I have yet to contact Elle - perhaps this can somehow be remedied

      Delete
  7. Do you have a pattern for the mandala done yet. I'd love to make it as well. It's just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy! Here is the link to the Mandala Pattern: http://zootyowlcards.blogspot.com/2014/04/rainbow-vermicelli-mandala-pattern.html

      Delete
  8. Pretty pretty designs I use hobby lobby I love this cotton😊

    ReplyDelete